- The technique was developed by E.M. Southern in 1975.
- The Southern blot is used to detect the presence of a particular DNA fragment in a sample.
- The DNA detected can be a single gene, or it can be part of a larger piece of DNA such as a viral genome.
- The technique was developed by Alwine and his colleagues in 1979
- Technique for detecting specific RNAs separated by electrophoresis by hybridization to a labeled DNA probe.
|Southern name of inventor||Northern a misnomer|
|Separation of DNA||Separation of RNA|
|Denaturation needed||Denaturation not needed|
|Nitrocellulose filter membrane||Amino benzyloxymethyl filter paper Membrane|
|DNA-DNA Hybridization||RNA-DNA Hybridization|